1985-89 BA Classical Languages, cum laude, Pomona College, Claremont, CA
- 1989-93: M&R Weisshaar Violin Shop, Costa Mesa
- 1993-94: Bernard Camurat, Montigny-sur-Loing, France
- 1995-99: Michael Becker Fine Violins, Park Ridge, IL
- 1999-Present: M&R Weisshaar & Son Violin Shop, Costa Mesa, CA
- Joined 2004
- US Delegate 2017-present
- Natural Resource Committee 2018-present
- Joined 2010
- Board Member 2014-16
- Vice President 2016-18
- President 2018-2020
- Secretary 2021-present
- AFVBM delegate 2018-present
- 2020-22 Current President
1989-Fulbright Scholarship and Annette Kade Fellowship for bow study in France
- 1969-2021, Bassist, Portland Symphony Orchestra
- 1970-present, Self-employed bow repair, bow maker
- 1990-present, Instructor, University of New Hampshire Violin Craftsmanship Institute
- 1984-present, American Federation of Violin and Bowmakers
- 1999-present IPCI-USA
- 2000-present, EILA membership
- 2019-present, EILA Alliance
- 2021, Alliance USA, VP
- Maker of new instruments and restorations since 1984, Huntington, Long Island, New York
- Studied at the Newark School of Violin Making and W.E. Hill & Sons
- 1977: Journeyman in the shop of Vahakn Nigogosian in New York
- 1980: Assisted Carl Becker (Chicago) with restorations and new instruments.
- 1989: Full member American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers
- 1994: Full member of Entente Internationale des Maitres Luthiers et Archetiers d’Art
- 2009-Present: Entente General Secretary
- Bow maker and restorer, NYC
- Founder member, present international chair: IPCI International Pernambuco Conservation Initiative
- Member and past president: American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers
- Board member: International Association of Violin and Bow Makers
Bow Rehair and Repair
- Owner, BG Bows, Pasadena, CA
- Maintaining over 550 customer’s bows with rehairs and various repairs, specializing in double bass bows. Clients include members of ICSOM and ROPA orchestras, University and Conservatory professors and students, studio musicians in the film and TV industry, and AFM members, throughout the Unites States.
- Bow specialist, Robert Cauer Violins, Hollywood, CA
- 1984-87- Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume, French National Violin making School
- 1987-88- Didier workshop, Metz
- 1988-91- Christophe Girardot workshop, Dijon
- 1992-94- Jean Schmitt workshop, Lyon
- 1994-96- Wilder and Davis workshop, Montreal
- 1996-present- President and violin maker, La Maison de Violon, Inc., Montreal
- 2003- member
- 2013-17- Vice-president
- 2017-19- President
- 2018- Co-founder with Charles Rufino
- 2022- Governor
- Attorney and independent environmental consultant.
- 25 years of experience in nonprofit management, environmental policy and advocacy.
- John has advised the United Nations, the European Union, government ministries, legislators, nonprofit organizations, foundations, universities and businesses.
- He represents the International Alliance of Violin and Bow Makers for Endangered Species before the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) and other government bodies.
- President of the Board of Directors of the International Pernambuco Conservation Initiative-USA
- Past Executive Director of Rainforest Foundation-US
- He holds a B.A. from Wesleyan University and a J.D. from Rutgers Law School.